“Innovation Policy and IP” – Spring, 2018
This planned briefing will be held in conjunction with the Global Innovation Policy Center (U.S. Chamber of Commerce) for May 2018 in Washington, DC.
“IP Awareness Summit 2017 ” – November 6, 2017
The Center for Intellectual Property Understanding (CIPU) in conjunction with Chicago-Kent College of Law (CKCL), Illinois Institute of Technology held the first Intellectual Property Awareness Summit in Chicago on November 6.
The focus was to confront the growing frustration about IP rights and lack of understanding.
For event details and panel videos, go here.
Ideas Matter, a London-based IP awareness consortium, produced with CIPU’s assistance a five-minute video about the importance of IP understanding for all.
The video was shot at the IP Awareness Summit (IPAS 2017), organized by CIPU.
View the video, here.
“Report: Patterns in Media Coverage of Patent Disputes”
CIPU’s analysis of 127 articles published in 2016 covering patent disputes for patterns in subjectivity. Media includes leading business, technology and general publications.
Key findings include:
- 42% of media coverage are advocacy pieces written by authors promoting a political or business agenda
- 57% of case coverage of patent infringement in technology publications provide a single POV, plaintiff or defendant
- 42.5% of patent infringement coverage in the sample features either Apple or SamsungFor the full report, go here.
For an infographic of more key findings, go here.
Planned report for 2018:
“IP Education Around the World: Organizations, Activities and Materials”
CIPU Speaking, Media and Outreach:
- IP Business Congress, San Francisco, June 11, 2018, “Patent Quality.”
- Licensing Executives Society Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, October 22-25, 2017, “Harnessing the Winds of Change.”
- IP Business Congress, Ottawa, Canada, June 20, 2017, “Policy Priorities.”
- 10th International Legal Alliance Summit, New York, June 15, 2017, “What IP assets are in your wallet?”
- International IP Commercialization Counsel, United States Capitol Building, Washington, DC, May 8, 2017, Opening panel: “The business impact of IP uncertainty and negative attitudes.”
CIPU Articles and Media: go here.
The Center for IP Understanding (CIPU) is dedicated increasing IP awareness. It provides information, conducts research, identifies trends and participates events and forums.
Among CIPU’s goals is to raise awareness, deter infringement, enhance value, and provide a more conducive environment for generating and sharing new ideas.
CIPU Activities for 2018-2019 include:
- Study – Commissioned a report to identify trends in non-legal IP education worldwide
- IP Resource Center – CIPU is working with the Tusher Center (UC Berkeley), Kellogg School of Management, and others to centralize access to IP education activities
- Media – Continue to track trends in IP press coverage
- Outreach – Develop and provide articles and resources, as well as speaking and support for schools, universities, workplace newsrooms
- Participation in events and conferences that involve IP awareness and understanding
- Facilitate a LinkedIn group established in 2017 open to all, “IP Awareness”
- Report on significant domestic and international IP education developments
Coming in 2018-2019:
IP Education Resource Center (IPERC), for non-lawyers
CIPU is working with the Tusher Center (UC Berkeley Haas School of Business), Kellogg School of Management, and businesses, inventors and others to identify, organize and make accessible IP education activities and resources.
The purpose of IPERC is to:
(i) identify, summarize and centralize existing IP education activities and materials to make them more accessible to non-legal audiences
(ii) show how the U.S. and U.S. IP organizations compare with others around the world in providing basic IP understanding
(iii) reveal gaps in non-lawyer IP education and how they may be filled